Have you ever lost something at home? Imagine that one morning, you overslept, and you need to get to work on time. You are really fighting the clock, and every minute counts. You finally got out of home, and you can’t find the car keys. So, you could forget about the productive day. What would you do?
It isn’t the most pleasant feeling to realize that an object you need right now is missing. Everyone used to lose something at the most inappropriate time. You have to get over it and look for the solution to the problem.
At first, you should remember that an item you lost at home can’t exactly be called “lost.” It means that sooner or later, you will reunite with your missing items. Just prepare for the fact that such procedure can be long term and be patient. ”Where to look for the lost things?” — you will ask. We prepared a list of tips and tricks for you, which can help you find your missing items. Just check the info below.
What should I do if I lost something at home?
You have to admit that you have ever said goodbye to those things, which seem to be lost, but after a while, you successfully found them. What an incredible feeling to suddenly find a missing object, isn’t it? It can appear in that place, where you don’t expect to notice it. So let’s discover how to find lost items.
- Ask your friends about your missing items.
You won’t need to look for your missing item at home if it’s with your friend. Stuff happens, remember how your notebooks suddenly were appearing in your classmate’s bag since school-days. You know, he or she could accidentally take them with him or her. The same goes for the missing items, which we are talking about now. Text or call your closest persons and ask about it. Probably you didn’t have free hands to hold something and gave your stuff to your friend. You can also seek help from your friends because one pair of eyes is good, but two are much better.
- Double-check the usual places.
Control your emotions, keep calm, and stay concentrated. Usually, we don’t notice missing items in front of our noses. Check twice your car, workplace, and clothes of your daily outfit.
- Organize a general cleaning.
You have delayed a spring-cleaning for a long time, and you have a reason now. In most cases, it is the most effective way to find your missing items. For instance, if you lost something small, like any jewelry, check out the place in the vacuum cleaner where the dirt is collecting or the drain in your shower.
- Don’t limit your searching range.
It is necessary because your missing item can appear in that place, where you don’t expect to notice it. For example, you left your wallet on the table in the kitchen, and your partner put it on the bookshelf while cooking or having breakfast.
- Focus on the behavior of your kids or pets.
Maybe your children took your missing item by accident and brought it to their room. As you know, almost every kid wants to be like his or her parents, and it’s not weird that your son or daughter could “borrow” your lost object. Try to ask them about it, or check out their room personally. The same goes for your pets, just pay attention to their behavior and necessarily check a dog’s house. Apparently, it is quite common for a dog to take a thing of the owner and bring it to the doghouse.
How to prevent the loss of items at home
Didn’t your parents tell you that you need to keep your stuff in order? Well, we have learned from our mistakes. Now it’s time to show you some tips and tricks to prevent the arising of the question like “How to find the lost items at home?”
- Organize a special place for the important stuff. Make some room for the things you use every day like wallets, mobile phones, bags, etc. You can organize that place on the entryway table or shelf.
- Make it a habit. How does it work? Leave your stuff at the same place every day. It doesn’t matter if you came from work or studying, your keys should always hang on the hook when you are at home.
- Choose the right furniture. Don’t choose your furniture only by appearance and design; pay attention to its ergonomics. It should be comfortable and spacious to store your stuff. If your choice is between the wall shelves or a cubby storage unit and wardrobe, the first will be unambiguously better because all your items will be in sight.
If your missing item isn’t at home
Take it easy. Our advice is not over for today, and we have solutions for any kind of problem. So, how to find lost items if they aren’t at home? If you didn’t find your lost item at home, don’t stop searching for it. Don’t limit the spectrum of searching. Use all the possible ways to reunite with your missing item. You can try your luck with the following alternative methods of searching:
- Visit a local lost-and-found. It will be useful to visit a local lost-and-found personally to check out your missing property availability and leave your contact information. Also, you can submit a report online or contact the lost-and-found office by phone.
- Post ads outside. Post ads in the area where you could lose your item. Offering a reward will motivate people to help you. Remember that you can only post them where it is allowed to do.
- Search online. It is an excellent opportunity to double your chances of finding just by surfing sites like Lostify. If someone else found your item, you can find it there. But you can also post your own search ad. Just sign up(it’s free), post an ad, and wait for the feedback. Don’t waste your time! Maybe your missing item is already waiting for its real owner, and all that you need is to contact the person who found it.
- File a police report. It is necessary if you suspect that someone could steal your property, or otherwise you are sure that your item was stolen.